Subject: Re: "--exclude" option for pax?
To: Laine Stump <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/29/2000 14:27:05
On 29 Nov 2000, Laine Stump wrote:

: I can't find an equivalent in pax to tar's --exclude and --exlude-from
: options. Am I missing the point somewhere?
: (I would prefer to use pax, BTW, because I want to replicate *most* of
: a directory hierarchy in another place. In the past I've done this by
: piping the output of a tar cf - to the input of tar xf -, but this
: seems wasteful if I can do the same thing with "pax -rw -pe ...")

You want to use "-s", the regex substitution option.  If this pattern
substitution comes out to "" (empty string), the file or directory is not

-- Todd Vierling <>  *