Subject: Re: netbsd on alpha
To: Emre <emre.yildirim@akomail.us.army.mil>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/27/2000 11:51:54
On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 05:15:22PM -0600, Emre wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I'm planning on purchasing a Alpha system from Compaq in the near future.  It
> will be doing very heavy www, mail, ftp, dns, firewalling and also some ipsec
> stuff.  And of course I want to run NetBSD on it.  Which would be the best
> model to purchase?  I was thinking something in the 600Mhz range, at least
> 256MB RAM, at least 20GB SCSI, and fast ethernet.  Can anyone recomment
> something?

I have a DS20 here, running as a NFS/Samba server. Maybe you can go with a
DS10 or XP1000; the advantage of the DS20 for me is that it has 2 64bit PCI
bus (6 slots total), which is very good for I/O.

> Also, has anyone run NetBSD on high-end alpha systems, as www servers, mail
> servers etc?  If so, what were your experiences?  Is it worth running
> -current on alpha, or should I stick to -release, or Tru64?  I guess what I'm
> basicly asking is, what version of NetBSD runs the most stable and on which
> model.  I'm loking for a rock-solid system, with very few crashes (Tru64 runs
> very stable, but I hate using it, besides NetBSD seems superior what
> networking and security is concerned).

I'm running 1.5 (started with 1.4Z then 1.5_ALPHA), now running 1.5 upgraded
from sources) on my DS20, and is has been very stable since 1.5_ALPHA
(got 2 or 3 crashes with 1.4Z which has been solved by the upgrade).