Subject: netbsd on alpha
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Emre <emre.yildirim@akomail.us.army.mil>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/27/2000 17:15:22
Hello people,

I'm planning on purchasing a Alpha system from Compaq in the near future.  It
will be doing very heavy www, mail, ftp, dns, firewalling and also some ipsec
stuff.  And of course I want to run NetBSD on it.  Which would be the best
model to purchase?  I was thinking something in the 600Mhz range, at least
256MB RAM, at least 20GB SCSI, and fast ethernet.  Can anyone recomment
something?

Also, has anyone run NetBSD on high-end alpha systems, as www servers, mail
servers etc?  If so, what were your experiences?  Is it worth running
-current on alpha, or should I stick to -release, or Tru64?  I guess what I'm
basicly asking is, what version of NetBSD runs the most stable and on which
model.  I'm loking for a rock-solid system, with very few crashes (Tru64 runs
very stable, but I hate using it, besides NetBSD seems superior what
networking and security is concerned).

Any help/advice/flames/rtfms are welcome.

Cheers

--
Emre Yildirim
GPG KeyID 0xF772D9ED