Subject: Re: Japanese
To: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/26/2000 16:33:51
Well, better late than never, I suppose....

On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > I believe editors/nvi-m17n has built-in support for canna.
>
> That's what I've _heard_, too.  No one out there has offered any
> suggestions as to how to use it, though.  You can't have canuum running
> before you fire up nvi-m17n.  ^O within nvi certainly doesn't call up
> the kana-kanji converter.  It does not somehow automagically put you
> into Japanese input mode AFAICS.  (Again, nvi works fine when the PC
> running telnet has the fep.)

I'm using nvi-m17n with kinput2 at the moment. (I'm always in an
X environment, and when using tall windows, I prefer to have the
kanji menus pop up where I'm typing, rather than on the command
line way down at the bottom of my window.) However, I did briefly
use nvi-m17n using its input method, and it seemed to work just
fine.

You have to make sure you have the canna server running before you
start nvi (just run /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/canna.sh). You don't need an
FEP; that's built into nvi-m17n. I'm not sure what the default
kanna starter key is; I was using a .exrc a friend recommended that
had `set cannakey=^]' and that worked ok. Perhaps you need to
experiment with a different kanna starter key? Or perhaps you didn't
do a `set canna'?

At any rate, when it's working and you hit the starter key you just
see a little `[ $B$"(B ]' on the command line, and typing some kana and
hitting enter will bring up a kanji menu, which you can cycle
through with the space bar as is usual with these things. I've just
tried this right now to type in that $B$"(B, and it works fine for me.

This is the relevant bit from the README file:

        4-e. canna support
             If you are willing to use canna support, add the following line:
                set canna
             If you would like to have automatic canna fence control, add the
             following too. (also, set fepkey as you like):
                set cannactrl
             If you need to specify canna server, do it as following:
                set cannaserver=somehost.your.domain
             If you would like to change canna starter key, specify that as
             following.  This will set the canna starter key to control-O.
             be VERY careful making choice!:
                set cannakey=^O

If you're still having trouble with it, feel free to send me e-mail
privately and I'll see if I can help you out. (Not that I have a
huge amount of experience in these matters, but at least I had it
working once.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>  917 532 4208   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

She saw that he had singled her out from the three...for no reasoned purpose
of further acquaintance, but in commonplace obedience to conjunctive orders
from headquarters, unconsciously received by unfortunate men when the last
intention of their lives is to be occupied with the feminine.