Subject: Re: package question
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Justin Heath <justin@bbnow.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/25/2000 16:52:35
"Jeremy C. Reed" wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Justin Heath wrote:
>
> > Assuming I am an unprivliged user how would I go about 'make && make
> > install' to install software from the pkgsrc collection?
> >
> > I saw a snippet in the FreeBSD Docs that list two variables 'make
> > PORTSDIR=/$' and 'make PREFIX=/$'. I have tried this with the users home
> > path, but it still tries to build in /usr/tmp/*. This fails to a
> > 'Permision denied' error because this user does not have write
> > permissions to /usr/tmp.
> >
> > What steps do I need to take (besides changing /usr/tmp permissions) to
> > remedy this?
>
> Maybe try setting WRKOBJDIR. Some documentation can be found in
> pkgsrc/Packages.txt, packages(7) manual page and
> pkgsrc/mk/mk.conf.example.
>
>    Jeremy C. Reed
>    http://www.reedmedia.net/

The WRKOBJDIR=/$ seems to get me past the point of writing to /usr/tmp.
This finishes the make process. However later (during make install) I am
prompted for the su password. I have also tried setting LOCALBASE and
PKGDB_DIR (since the user does not have write permissions to that dir. I
did not see any more information in the man page to lead me to any other
conclusions. Any Ideas?

I basically want users to be able to install what they need from pkgsrc
into their home dir with zero root interaction.

Thanks.

--Justin Heath