Subject: Re: need help making a gateway
To: None <talmage@ricochet.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 11/06/2000 21:58:00
David W. Talmage writes:

> The box I want to use as a gateway refuses to pass packets from the ethernet
> (ex0) to the outside world (ppp0).  I think I've done all of the things
> mentioned in the FAQs and the mailing lists:
>
> 	o kernel has options GATEWAY, PPP_BSDCOMP, PPP_DEFLATE,
> 	PPP_FILTER, PFIL_HOOKS, IPFILTER_LOG

Good, options GATEWAY will enable routing, which you can doublecheck by
doing 'sysctl -a' and looking for "net.inet.ip.forwarding = 1".

> 	o /etc/ppp/options has defaultroute.

With 'netstat -nr' do you actually have a default route in the routing
table?

Like this:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use    Mtu  Interface
default            192.168.1.2        UGS         3    56569   1500  epic0

> Basic networking works on the gateway box.  Machines on my network can talk to
> each other but they can't get their packets to ppp0 on the gateway.  I've

Can your local ethernet machines ping the address of ppp0?

> 1.5ALPHA but this gateway thing hasn't worked for me since 1.3.  The only
> difference that I can recall is that with 1.2 I had to run gated.  gated isn't
> mentioned in any of the FAQs that I've read or in any of the mailing list
> archives, so I'm not using it.  Is that what's missing?

No, gated (and routed, etc) is only using for routing protocols/information
not the actual ip routing in the kernel.  e.g. You should be fine with just
static routing where you set the default gateway/route on each machine on the
ethernet to the gateway's local ip address, then set the default route on
the gateway box to be out via the ppp interface.

Have you doublechecked your netmasks and the default route settings on
the inside machines?  (pinging the address of ppp0 should prove this out)

If all else fails, post your configuration files.  I'm using 1.5_ALPHA for
a ethernet/ppp/wireless router with no problems.

-Andrew