Subject: Re: Japanese
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/29/2000 20:34:23
> Sorry I do not use uum family and Japanese command line
> arguments so I donot have any comments nor answers to the

Thanks for responding at all.  I have been stuggling for over a
year, and in general the response on mailing lists in Japan has
been very discouraging.

> of the shell.  When you input `$BEE(B' (electric in Japanese)
> with uum-family programs or fep (or whatever) the shell
> might think it as a sequence of two .ANE (angstrom?).  You need

This is beyond my knowledge.  All I know is that I can use csh without
any apparent problems.  For example, the following is off of a serial
connection (TeraTerm) to ttya of a NetBSD1.4.2/sparc (grep is aliased
to jgrep):

suni% cat test | grep $BEE(B
$B@EEE0zNO(B
$B86;RNOH/EE=j(B

This is all I would like to do.  However, I can see no way to do it
without relying on a PC running some kind of fep for the input.

> > May I assume this is true for all of the input methods: canuum, uum
> > or skkfep?
>
> Yes.

I _really_ appreciate getting this clear-cut answer.

> > with NetBSD1.4.2.  It works very well for viewing and input via a
> > Windows or DOS fep like atok over a telnet or serial connection.  I
>
> Hmmm.  Theoretically it should work with uum-family as well
> (or ill) as with DOS fep.  What happens?

Well, here is as far as I have gotten.  My prompt is "suni%."  What I do
is preceeded with an arrow "=>."

=> start up canuum, `canuum -u`
$B#c#a#n#u#u#m(B($B$+$J4A;zJQ49%U%m%s%H%(%s%I%W%m%;%C%5(B)
suni%
$B$+$s$J(B

=> enter ^O + return (assuming have done `stty discard undef`)
suni% ^O

suni%
[ $B$"(B ]

=> enter jitennshawonoru + space + return
suni% jitennshawonoru

[$B4A;z(B] $B<+E><V$r:\$k(B

=> enter q + return
suni% jitennshawonoru
$B<+E><V$r:\$k(Bq
[ $B$"(B ]

=> enter return again
M-<M-+M-EM->M-<M-VM-$M-rM-:M-\M-$M-kq: Command not found.
suni%
[ $B$"(B ]

Any ideas what my problem is?  My experience with canuum (Linux) and
uum (Solaris) is that there should be no need for all those "return"s,
after entering kana/kanji conversion mode any letters are entered on the
25th line, and after "kakutei" the kanji show up on the command line
without "mojibake" and without the command being executed, i.e., a final
"return."

Just as serious is that the function keys F7-F10 and the arrow keys do
not work as expected when in "fep" mode.

Thanks again, just for listening.

> Actually XPG4DL is under development and I hope it will be
> integrated with *BSD in the near future.
>
> Note that The Citrus Project is also designing the next
> generation locale implementation.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sure looking forward to it.

henry nelson