Subject: Re: Japanese
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: MINOURA Makoto <minoura@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/29/2000 19:00:54
Sorry I do not use uum family and Japanese command line
arguments so I donot have any comments nor answers to the
specific questions.

|> In <200010280038.JAA01578@ibr1.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
|>  Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:

> > This is a problem due to the shell.  You'll need
> >  - OS locale framework which supports CJK (XPG4DL)
> >  - Internationalized shell which utilizes the locale framework (tcsh?)

> Do you mean I need _both_ of these?

Yes, I do.

Actually since NetBSD standard shells are 8bit-through
something might look as if it works with eucJP.  In
practical the only problem you'd meet is in the line editor
of the shell.  When you input `$BEE(B' (electric in Japanese)
with uum-family programs or fep (or whatever) the shell
might think it as a sequence of two .ANE (angstrom?).  You need
to type backspace twice when you want to delete `$BEE(B'.

If you enable line editing in sh, ksh, or other modern
shells, you cannot use Japanese nor other 8-bit characters,
since it conflicts with the special key stroke M-E.

To handle these characters properly the shells are required
to distinguish them according to the current locale by using
ctype(3) family of C functions.  Locale framework is defined
by the standards for this use.

XPG4DL is one of the implementation of this framework from
The Citrus Project.

> May I assume this is true for all of the input methods: canuum, uum
> or skkfep?

Yes.

> These are the kind of _facts_ I'm interested in to prevent me from
> wasting months of time.  Presently I use the stock csh which comes
> with NetBSD1.4.2.  It works very well for viewing and input via a
> Windows or DOS fep like atok over a telnet or serial connection.  I

Hmmm.  Theoretically it should work with uum-family as well
(or ill) as with DOS fep.  What happens?

> was given no indication by anyone or any documentation that I had
> to use "XPG4DL."  What am I to infer from the ? after tcsh?

Actually XPG4DL is under development and I hope it will be
integrated with *BSD in the near future.

Note that The Citrus Project is also designing the next
generation locale implementation.

--
Minoura Makoto <minoura@netbsd.org> or <minoura@jp.netbsd.org>