Subject: Re: Japanese
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/28/2000 09:38:24
> >   2) it is impossible to get the kanji onto the command line, i.e.,
> >      the actual conversion from kana to kanji works, but there is no way
> >      to use the kanji
>
> This is a problem due to the shell.  You'll need
>  - OS locale framework which supports CJK (XPG4DL)
>  - Internationalized shell which utilizes the locale framework (tcsh?)

Do you mean I need _both_ of these?

May I assume this is true for all of the input methods: canuum, uum
or skkfep?

These are the kind of _facts_ I'm interested in to prevent me from
wasting months of time.  Presently I use the stock csh which comes
with NetBSD1.4.2.  It works very well for viewing and input via a
Windows or DOS fep like atok over a telnet or serial connection.  I
was given no indication by anyone or any documentation that I had
to use "XPG4DL."  What am I to infer from the ? after tcsh?

> I believe editors/nvi-m17n has built-in support for canna.

That's what I've _heard_, too.  No one out there has offered any
suggestions as to how to use it, though.  You can't have canuum running
before you fire up nvi-m17n.  ^O within nvi certainly doesn't call up
the kana-kanji converter.  It does not somehow automagically put you
into Japanese input mode AFAICS.  (Again, nvi works fine when the PC
running telnet has the fep.)

Anyway, I would like to hear from someone who has _in fact_ been
using one of the kana-kanji converters (preferably canuum which I'm
familiar with) with complete success in text mode (of course on NetBSD).

henry nelson