Subject: Re: Japanese
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/27/2000 19:18:45
> Actually I use Windows IME when I log in from a character
> terminal (that is, TeraTerm Pro), and have no recommendation

Seems as though this is by far the most popular method.  I hate having
to be completely reliant on M$.

> > platforms: /i386, /sparc and /pc98.  I'd like Japanese input to
> > work _satisfactorily_ on all of them, but I'll settle for any.
>
> What's the problem?

with canuum, not running X, any of the above three platforms, either
telnet (actually TeraTerm Pro) or the console:
  1) it is necessary to hit return after every command to have it entered
  2) it is impossible to get the kanji onto the command line, i.e.,
     the actual conversion from kana to kanji works, but there is no way
     to use the kanji
  3) the ATOK emulation, e.g., F10 to change the input mode, does not work
  4) there seems to be no way to do kana/kanji conversion within nvi
     (Admittedly, I have not had time to try jvim or other editors.)

I have pretty much given up on canuum.  I have just compiled FreeWnn-server,
and will try it Sunday.  (I have Wnn6/uum on Solaris for comparison.  Canuum
I had been using on Linux without problem, but Linux is too divergent from
NetBSD to make any guesses.)

henry nelson