Subject: Re: Japanese
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/26/2000 11:13:05
> there is a whole japanese subdirectory in the NetBSD packages collection,
> but which packages do I need to view japanese websites with mosaic or
                               ^^^^^^^
To view, you don't need any packages, nor do you need a GUI browser.  Set
your environment variable LANG to ja_JP.EUC.  If you use csh, put "setenv
LANG ja_JP.eucJP" in your .cshrc file.  Then install the text browser Lynx
and set your "Display character set" to "Japanese (EUC-JP)."  If you want
more versatility, I recommend that you install nvi-euc-jp, jgawk, jgrep,
jless, and jsed for starters.

I need help!  If you yourself, or if you know of anyone who has canuum
or some other kana/kanji converter working well on NetBSD in a _non-X
environment_, please contact me.  Thanks.

henry nelson