Subject: Re: 1.5_ALPHA2 boot problem
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth@jake.capybara.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/18/2000 00:12:35
On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 08:58:43PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> > -To reiterate from my previous message, I'm running the i386 port.
> 	Is this a 1.5_ALPHA2 INSTALL or GENERIC kernel - could you try
> 	both?

It was INSTALL, but the same problem manifests itself with GENERIC --
see below.

> 	What SCSI card do you have?
Adaptec AHA2940UW (Bios v1.23)

> 	Does it boot without the CD, disk, and even SCSI card?
Ok, I rebooted 10 times just now under a bunch of different conditions.
Only one of them worked (I took notes:)

Initial Conditions:
-Quantum AtlasIV (9GB) and Pioneer DR-U16S attached to the SCSI bus
-There is a non-bootable CD in the CD-ROM drive
-Seagate 30G drive on IDE primary master (but the BIOS is unaware of this)

Trial 1: (booting GENERIC from sd0:netbsd-1.5_ALPHA2)
Probe finds cd0 and then sd0 and hangs with the SCSI activity LED lit:

ahc1: target 8 using 16Bit transfers
ahc1: target 8 synchronous at 20.0MHz, offset = 0x8
ahc1: target 8 using tagged queuing
sd0 at scsibus0 targ 8 lun 0: <QUANTUM, ATLAS IV 9 WLS, 9312> SCSI3 0/direct fixed

The only differences in this output vs. the output in 1.4.x are:
-1.4.x does not report "tagged queuing"
-1.4.x runs the drive at 10.0MHz synchronous
-1.4.x does not hang at this (or any) point :)

Trial 2: (booting GENERIC from sd0:netbsd-1.5_ALPHA2)
-> the CD-ROM has been removed from the SCSI bus

Same problem as in 1.

Trial 3: (booting GENERIC from sd0:netbsd-1.5_ALPHA2)
-> I forced the drive down to 10.0MHz synchronous in the adaptec
   setup utility

The drive does probe as 10.0MHz this time, but the hanging problem
remains.

Trial 4: (booting INSTALL from floppy)
-> I un-hooked the SCSI drive (but left the CD connected)

The boot succeeded and sysinst displayed the menu!

Trial N: (booting GENERIC/INSTALL)
I tried a bunch of other stuff (like disconnecting the IDE drive,
disabling the adaptec SCSI BIOS, turning off synchronous transfers,
and even stranger things...)

All trials exhibited the hang in the same place with the same
symptoms unless the sd0 wasn't connected.

So.. I hope this new information will give you some hints as to
what I should try next. :)

Thanks everyone for your time so far..

Jonathan Fuerth