Subject: Re: 1.5_ALPHA2 boot problem (Was: Java 2 SDK under i386?)
To: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth@jake.capybara.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/17/2000 20:58:43
On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Jonathan Fuerth wrote:

> This brings me to the next problem: My system won't boot 1.5_ALPHA2.  I
> only tried twice, but exactly the same thing happened both times:
>
> -Everything works fine until the scsibus discovery probe thing.  It finds
>  my CDROM, then finds my harddrive.  At the exact instant that it prints
>  my harddrive's information
>  (sd0 at scsibus0 targ 8 lun 0: <QUANTUM, ATLAS IV 9 WLS, 9312> SCSI3 \
>   0/direct fixed)
>  the harddrive activity LED comes on and stays on, and then nothing else
>  happens.
>
> -Ceteris paribus, Neither 1.4 nor 1.4.2 (GENERIC or INSTALL) have this
>  problem.
>
> -If it matters, I can send dmesg output from a successful 1.4.2 boot to
>  anybody who thinks they know what the problem might be.
>
> -To reiterate from my previous message, I'm running the i386 port.

	Is this a 1.5_ALPHA2 INSTALL or GENERIC kernel - could you try
	both?

	What SCSI card do you have?
	Does it boot without the CD, disk, and even SCSI card?
	(I appreciate booting without the SCSI disk may involve
	just booting the sysinst floppy image :)

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --