Subject: Re: Java 2 SDK under i386?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth@jake.capybara.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/16/2000 16:06:40
On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 11:35:58PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
> : The only JDK I've downloaded so far is 1.3 for linux.
>
> Presuming you're downloading the one from *Sun*, not from blackdown.org, you
> can use the J2SE 1.3 (aka JDK 1.3) perfectly fine; I have it running here

Ok, good.  I have downloaded and extracted that package.  (Not the RPM,
just the self-extracting "shell script").

> However, you need many of the Linux emulation improvements in NetBSD 1.5 in
> order to use it.  Provided you get up to 1.5, there's a small hack that
> needs to be done to the .java_wrapper script (basically, remove that whole
> bogus shellcode block about `resolving symlinks'), and it Just Works with
> the emul/suse_linux packages.  Note that you'll probably be best off forcing
> it to use green_threads, at least for the moment.

Ok, I hacked up the shell script already (in order to force the use of
green_threads).  I'll remove the "pathname canonicalization" stuff.

This brings me to the next problem: My system won't boot 1.5_ALPHA2.  I
only tried twice, but exactly the same thing happened both times:

-Everything works fine until the scsibus discovery probe thing.  It finds
 my CDROM, then finds my harddrive.  At the exact instant that it prints
 my harddrive's information
 (sd0 at scsibus0 targ 8 lun 0: <QUANTUM, ATLAS IV 9 WLS, 9312> SCSI3 \
  0/direct fixed)
 the harddrive activity LED comes on and stays on, and then nothing else
 happens.

-Ceteris paribus, Neither 1.4 nor 1.4.2 (GENERIC or INSTALL) have this
 problem.

-If it matters, I can send dmesg output from a successful 1.4.2 boot to
 anybody who thinks they know what the problem might be.

-To reiterate from my previous message, I'm running the i386 port.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jonathan Fuerth