Subject: Re: Java 2 SDK under i386?
To: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth@jake.capybara.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/15/2000 23:35:58
On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Jonathan Fuerth wrote:

: Hi.  I'm running 1.4.2/i386, and I've been trying to get a Java 2
: (i.e. Sun JDK 1.2.x or 1.3) development environment set up.

At the moment, you're mostly out of luck, but see below.

: The only JDK I've downloaded so far is 1.3 for linux.

Presuming you're downloading the one from *Sun*, not from blackdown.org, you
can use the J2SE 1.3 (aka JDK 1.3) perfectly fine; I have it running here
even with a JIT.

However, you need many of the Linux emulation improvements in NetBSD 1.5 in
order to use it.  Provided you get up to 1.5, there's a small hack that
needs to be done to the .java_wrapper script (basically, remove that whole
bogus shellcode block about `resolving symlinks'), and it Just Works with
the emul/suse_linux packages.  Note that you'll probably be best off forcing
it to use green_threads, at least for the moment.

I plan to pkgize it, but it probably won't be in the 1.5 distribution.  You
should be able to grab its pkgsrc entry after it's available and `compile'
(actually, just repackage) it fairly simply.

: How about the Solaris version?  I have the Solaris 8 Intel Edition CDs,
: so I could install the necessary files under /emul and try my luck with
: the Solaris/Intel jvm.  Has anybody had any luck with this route?

You could try this--but again, there's some emulation fixes in 1.5 you will
likely need.  I haven't tried this route myself, and completely forgot to
pick up a Solaris 8 CD pack at the Linux Showcase this week.  8-P

In any case, you will definitely have to run this in green_threads mode, as
the threading syscalls for SVR4 aren't implemented in the emulation at all.
(Long story, don't ask, but we're working on it....)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/