Subject: Re: Using boot-tiny.fs
To: Ian Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/11/2000 21:31:52
On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Ian Thomas wrote:
>    Swapctl -A worked great after I added an fstab file
> using ed.  However, I am having problems getting

	You should also be able to add the swap partition with
	    'swapctl -a /dev/wd0b'
	The next version of sysinst (which should be included in
	the full 1.5 release) will automatically add swap space
	if needed.

> sysinst to get files from my floppies.  I have tried
> dd if=kern.aa bs=18k of=/dev/fd0a to put the file on
> the floppies, after fdformatting of course.  Sysinst
> gives me some kind of superblock error.  I am able to
> get them onto the drive by doing these commands to the
> floppies disklabel -w -r /dev/fd0a floppy and newfs.
> I then mount them on the laptop and copy them to the
> hard drive using the /bin/sh option from the utility

	I believe it expects the floppies to be msdos formatted
	Do the install notes not mention this?

> menu.  The problem comes up when I have to cat kern.??
> | gunzip | (cd /; tar cxz -).  At this point in the
> install, the / partition is in memory and almost used
> up(97%).  Wd0a is /mnt, wd0b is swap, and wd0e is
> /mnt/usr.  I need to somehow get the uncompressed and
> catted files from kern, base, and etc onto the
> appropriate partition wd0a and wd0e respectively.  Any
> suggestions?  Sorry about being long winded but I
> figured I should include what I had tried and where I
> had gotten to.

	You should be able to:
	    cat kern.??  | (cd /mnt; tar xzf -)
	Though using msdos formatted floppies should be easier :)

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --