Subject: Re: Using boot-tiny.fs
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/10/2000 18:29:37
--- David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org> wrote:
> 	Try 'swapctl' not swapon - where did you see the
> swapon note?
>
>                 David/absolute
> 			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every
> occasion --
>

> On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Ian Thomas wrote:
>
> >      I have a laptop with only 4MB of RAM on it
> and a
> > 122MB HD.  I have managed to boot the boot-tiny.fs
> on
> > it but I am having trouble finishing sysinst.  The
> > doc's say to use the command swapon but this is
> not
> > included as a command when you first boot from
> floppy.
> >  Any suggestions on how to proceed?  I was able to
> > write the inodes and get to the point where it
> asked
> > for kern.aa.  Unfortunately it said that it could
> not
> > read the floppy I put in so I had to abort.  When
> > tried to run the install again I got could not
> write
> > to disk when it was going to write the ffs.  I
> checked
> > fdisk and it shows the partitions that I have
> setup.
> > I used disklabel and it shows the name I have
> chosen
> > for the disk.  This laptop only has a floppy drive
> and
> > no PCMCIA slots.  It does have a Parellel Port and
> > Serial Port.
> >    I know this may sound like a waste of time but
> > strongly believe that this machine is not obselete
> and
> > can be used.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Ian

> > Yahoo! Photos - 35mm Quality Prints, Now Get 15
> Free!
> > http://photos.yahoo.com/

   Swapctl -A worked great after I added an fstab file
using ed.  However, I am having problems getting
sysinst to get files from my floppies.  I have tried
dd if=kern.aa bs=18k of=/dev/fd0a to put the file on
the floppies, after fdformatting of course.  Sysinst
gives me some kind of superblock error.  I am able to
get them onto the drive by doing these commands to the
floppies disklabel -w -r /dev/fd0a floppy and newfs.
I then mount them on the laptop and copy them to the
hard drive using the /bin/sh option from the utility
menu.  The problem comes up when I have to cat kern.??
| gunzip | (cd /; tar cxz -).  At this point in the
install, the / partition is in memory and almost used
up(97%).  Wd0a is /mnt, wd0b is swap, and wd0e is
/mnt/usr.  I need to somehow get the uncompressed and
catted files from kern, base, and etc onto the
appropriate partition wd0a and wd0e respectively.  Any
suggestions?  Sorry about being long winded but I
figured I should include what I had tried and where I
had gotten to.