Subject: Re: Nfs clients get frozen when NFS server crashes...
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/04/2000 15:09:30
    Date:        Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:55:00 -0400
    From:        David Maxwell <david@vex.net>

  | Depending on the environment for the machine, you could use a kernel with
  | DDB and take the ps from there.

Almost all the affected machines here are in student labs (they're the
ones that do enough NFS to notice).  Break into DDB and fiddle with the
kernel isn't enabled on those systems, for some odd reason...

  | It does, and you'll be shocked how simple it is after the first time you
  | set it up.

Atually, i won't be - I got far enough with the sparc test to know how
easily it all (should) work.

  | This sounds like one of those problems that seems harder to investigate than
  | to live with the consequences of - no matter how annoying :-) Been there.

Yes...  That has been what I have been doing for the past couple of
years.

If anyone cares, our fileserver was down for an extended period
yesterday morning (maintenance rather than an outage).    You can see
the after effects if you telnet to dublin.cs.mu.OZ.AU which appears to
have not been rebooted since.   Of course that is just ...

telnet dublin
Trying 128.250.26.26...
Connected to dublin.cs.mu.OZ.AU.
Escape character is '^]'.
telnetd: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable.
Connection closed by foreign host.

so it isn't very exciting...

kre