Subject: Re: Nfs clients get frozen when NFS server crashes...
To: Sam <sam@epita.fr>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/03/2000 21:17:44
On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 06:17:53PM +0000, Sam wrote:
> You think NetBSD 1.5 is stable enough to serve 500 Pc 24h/24/h ?
> Because if it is, we will switch soon. :)

I don't have that much client so I can't tell. But I have 2 NetBSD NFS
servers at different sites; one is the alpha, the other a PIII/600 with
3 100Mb ethernet. I'm not sure how much machines it serves exactly, should
be about 40 (mostly linux or NT).

I would suggest setting up a test machine, mount it from you 500 boxes and
run some tests (cp -R, rm, tar cvf /dev/null, etc) in parallel. This is what
I did for the alpha and it didn't show up major problems, other than
the crash of 4 linux clients :)

What network do you have (speed and topology) ?
One issue I've seen with NFS and lots of clients is that, under load,
clients can timeout when the server still have the request queued.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>