Subject: Nfs clients get frozen when NFS server crashes...
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Sam <sam@epita.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/03/2000 17:05:28
I have about 500 Netbsd 1.4.2 Pcs. nfs client to
5 Freebsd 4.0 Servers (cause we couldnt get any u2w card working on netBsd...).

We have a problem now with the freeBSD servers, which nfsd process stops every day...
When this hapenns all the netbsd clients that try to access the exported file systems
which are not accessible, get stuck, and sometimes get completely frozen.

Here is how they are mounted:

(sam@jotun 42)cat /etc/fstab
/dev/wd0a / ffs rw 1 1
/dev/wd0b none swap sw 0 0/kern /kern kernfs rw
/proc /proc procfs rw
hermes:/space/mail  /nfs/hermes/mail nfs nosuid,nodev,rw,soft,bg,intr 0 0
s1:/space/export    /nfs/s1/space    nfs nosuid,nodev,rw,soft,bg,intr 0 0
s2:/space/export    /nfs/s2/space    nfs nosuid,nodev,rw,soft,bg,intr 0 0
s3:/space/export    /nfs/s3/space    nfs nosuid,nodev,rw,soft,bg,intr 0 0
s4:/space/export    /nfs/s4/space    nfs nosuid,nodev,rw,soft,bg,intr 0 0
s5:/space/export    /nfs/s5/space    nfs nosuid,nodev,rw,soft,bg,intr 0 0

We then have to reboot the 500 clients each time the servers crashes...
It's really annoying and shouldn't happen.

Anyone got any idea ?

--

----
sam@epita.fr