Subject: Re: Canon S20 USB Digital Camera - How To?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/28/2000 17:39:48
Well, I tried adding

	umass*  at uhub? port ? configuration ? interface ?
	atapibus* at umass? channel ?

to my kernel config, and this is what I got in boot messages (manually
rewrapped for readability):

	<snip>
	uhci0 at pci0 dev 31 function 2: Intel 82801AA USB Controller \
		(rev. 0x02)
	uhci0: interrupting at irq 9
	usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
	uhub0 at usb0
	uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
	Intel 82801AA SMBus Controller (SMBus serial bus, revision 0x02) \
		at pci0 dev 31 function 3 not configured
	<snip>
	fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
	fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB, 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
	biomask e76d netmask ef6d ttymask ffef
	Canon Inc. PowerShot S20, class 255/255, rev 1.00/0.01, addr 2, \
		uhub0 port 1 not configured
	<snip>

So, it looks like this camera is connected properly (otherwise it
wouldn't have successfully identified it) but does not respond as a
"normal" umass device.   :(

Bummer.

On Mon, 28 Aug 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> In article <Pine.NEB.4.10.10008211918430.12783-100000@pc1.whooppee.com> you wrote:
> > Is there anything in NetBSD-land (probably in packages) that can work
> > with this camera?  Or am I doomed to using my employer-provided laptop
> > to grab my pictures?  :)
>
> Plug it in, and see what happens.
> Ideally, it shows up as a umass device, and wdX attaches to it.
> Digital (still) cameras are intended to act as harddisks in USB land.
>
> If the camera comes with it's own protocol, you have a problem, though.
> For a Kodak something290, a program called 'ophoto' helped me.
> I have patches here but didn't get around to put the whole thing into
> pkgsrc (it was not my camera that I tried this with).
>

>  - Hubert
>
> --
> NetBSD - because Unix isn't just #include <linux.h>, i386, ILP32, ELF, ...!

|   Paul Goyette  | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer|  BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| & kernel hacker |  91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |