Subject: disk quotas - how do they work?
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Mirko Thiesen <thiesi@NetWork23.BSDOnLine.ORG>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/17/2000 02:17:55
Hi,

maybe this is a stupid questions that has been answered many times before,
but at least *I* am unable to find the answer.

I'm running a semi-public 1.4.3_ALPHA system which offers access to some
services, including dial-in and shell access. In order to prevent my users
from filling up my hard drives, I wanted to impose some disk
quotas. After enabling quotas for the appropriate file systems,
everything worked alright. But today I took a closer look at the quota
files automatically created by quotacheck.

I am just wondering if it's normal that the quota.user file on one of the
filesystems is rather big:

(02:09:17) root@ReLink [/home] # ls -la quota.*
-rw-r-----  1 root  operator     1048544 Aug 17 02:00 quota.group
-rw-r-----  1 root  operator  4293918752 Aug 17 02:00 quota.user

If this is unusual, may I safely remove the file and have it recreated by
quotacheck while in multiuser mode? What else can I do?

Bye, K&K,
T-Zee
--
Thiesi@I.am - Powered by NetBSD! - Amiga: Alive and Kicking!
Tel.: ++49-(0)171-416 05 09    Fax: ++49-(0)171-134 16 05 09