Subject: Re: A FreeBSD problem (off topic ?)
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <daemonuser@email.com>
From: Steinar Hamre <steinarh@stud.fim.ntnu.no>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/16/2000 11:48:34
Rakhesh Sasidharan <daemonuser@email.com> writes:

> I have an extended partition, and that has logical drives in it (which has
> my Linux partition).  I can access those from NetBSD (or atleast I think I
> know how to), but FreeBSD seems to have a different way of using
> disklabels.  Would anybody on this list who might have freebsd experience
> please help me out.  Please.

FreeBSD disklabel partitions is offset from the start of the
"PC"-partition (primary or logical doen't matter), NetBSD disklabel
partitions covers the entire adress space of the disk.

In FreeBSD you access other "PC"-partitions via the "slice"-devices
(/dev/ad0s1 and so on).

> And while I am on it, why is it that I can have only 8 partitions (a-h) ?
> Is there any way to increase it.  `a' is root, `b' is swap, `c,'`d' are
> reserved, and `e,'`f' have /usr and /var on them -- leaving me with just
> `g' and `h.'  Anyways to increase the number ?

Most NetBSD ports have a upper limit of 8 partitions. OpenBSD/i386
have 16 partitions. I think we should go for this or a even higher
number of partitions (32? 256?). Increasing the number of partitions
will probably result in a incompatible disklabel, but in my opinion,
disklabels will have to be redone sooner or later anyway, as most
information kept in the disklabel is way out of date.

	Steinar