Subject: Re: Regarding sound card support
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <daemonuser@email.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/13/2000 16:12:40
On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 02:38:37PM +0530, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> Is NetBSD's support for sound cards poor in general ?  Or is there some
> tweak I have to do, to make it work properly.

> I had installed NetBSD-1.4.2 on a machine which had an Opti931 sound card.

The 1.4 releases don't have support for a number of newer cards. The 1.5
release was delayed for a variety of reasons, but the 1.5 development
code (-current) or one of the ALPHA snapshots includes a number of them.

> During booting, it shows the card, but reports it as 'not configured'.  On
> another machine I installed NetBSD-1.4.2, and had an Ensoniq PCI97, it
> again found the card, but reported it as 'not configured'.  I gather from

The message can mean "no driver available", or just "no driver in the
kernel you're booting", but in this case no, that card didn't have a
driver in 1.4

I'm not sure about that card - could you send the boot message when
it's found?

> I had actually brought a SoundBlaster card (thinking that it might be
> popular enough to have support in NetBSD); but Creative has taken over
> Ensoniq, and so the chips and stuff are Ensniq.

It may be supported by the eap driver, but I'm not certain.

> PS: (1) I haven't used NetBSD extensively (I prefer having sound support,
> and so didn't do much work in it); but this is the first BSD that I used
> while moving from Linux, and I must admit: I liked it a lot.  For
> onething, I have learnt a lot while working on NetBSD, and that certainly
> has been a rewarding experience.  Cheers to all those who made this
> possible!

Glad you like it :-)

> (2) I got OpenBSD, just to see how things work in that.  It supports both
> these cards.  Just mentioned it in case it might be of any help.

What driver gets used for this at boot time? OpenBSD has had a more
recent formal release (June 15, 2000 vs. Mar 19th, 2000 for NetBSD).
It's certainly easy for us to integrate that sound support back if
there's a driver in OpenBSD that we don't have yet.

Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me