Subject: Isn't it time to scrap C/H/S?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Torsten Sadowski <moehl@akaflieg.extern.tu-berlin.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/28/2000 18:07:50
Hi,

every time I have to disklabel a new scsi or ide disk I have to invent a
working combination of cylinders, heads and sectors. There is no reason
why this should be necessary. SCSI and IDE drives care only about the
absolute number of blocks. If asked they give numbers for heads and
cylinders (you see those during hardware detection) but not for sectors
because almost all drives use more sectors on the outer tracks than on the
inner.
I would appreciate a disklabel where I would specify an offset for
partition a (some bootcode is rather large) and then simply giving the
amount of blocks for a,b,c..h (BTW why is c special containing the entire
disk) with a 'special' number called 'rest'. This would make adding disks
much less annoying.

-Torsten