Subject: Re: RAIDframe works fine, but I'm wondering...
To: Anders Dinsen <anders2@dinsen.net>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/23/2000 15:33:22
Anders Dinsen writes:
> I've got three old slow disks that I'd like to concatenate using RAID 0,
> similar to using ccd, but with RAIDframe, since it's more powerful
> and easier to get to work as far as I can see.

If you're wanting to do pure concatentation of different-sized disks,
then you'll have to use ccd, since RAIDframe doesn't handle that...
If the disks are all the same, then using a RAID 0 w/ RAIDframe should work
just fine..

> I've experimented a using two vnode-disks, with success (except the kernel
> panic'ed when they were only 1MB large - works fine with two 20 MB disks?
> anyone know if this is a known problem or should I submit a pr?)

Somewhat known :)  But it wouldn't hurt to file a PR anyway... (Is the panic
RAIDframe-related, or something else? )

> But I was wondering how it works with booting. After doing 'raidctl -C
> rfconfig raid0' and making an entry in /etc/fstab, what more do I need to
> configure to make the file system come up and be mounted automatically? I
> do not plan to use the raid disk as root-fs.

Remember to do both 'raidctl -I' and 'raidctl -i' too... then, copy rfconfig
to /etc/raid0.conf , and /etc/rc should use /etc/raid0.conf to automatically
configure the RAID set at boot... (I *think* the right stuff to do this
is in /etc/rc for 1.4.1, but I don't remember any more... :-/  If it isn't
you can certainly borrow those parts from 1.4.2.)

Later...

Greg Oster