Subject: make debugging question
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Erich T. Enke <Erich.T.Enke@wheaton.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/18/2000 08:38:51
How do I determine which makefile a given error occurs in?  I'm looking
for some option to set that will output which Makefile make is recursed
into.  Looked in the man page but didn't find anything.  Is this possible?

For example, from a fairly recent pkgsrc, I do a make package for
x11/fvwm2.  Found the bad patch:

(beginning line 28)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --sysconfdir=${PREFIX}/lib/X11/fvwm2
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --libexecdir=${PREFIX}/lib/X11
<<<<<<< Makefile
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --with-xpm-includes=${PREFIX}/include
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --with-xpm-library=${PREFIX}/lib
=======
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --with-xpm-includes=${XPMDIR}/include
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --with-readline-includes=${LOCALBASE}/include
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=        --with-readline-library=${LOCALBASE}/lib

which I thought was giving the error:

"Makefile", line 30: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 33: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 35: Need an operator
Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

so I copied the Makefile to Makefile.1.  make -f Makefile.1 package now
gives the same result, so I wonder if the problem is in a different
Makefile, but have no idea where to start.  They're all named Makefile, so
how do I ask make which Makefile it had the error in?

TIA,
Erich