Subject: Re: Routing problem
To: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/16/2000 10:49:48
On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 09:15:32AM +0900, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> > Problems, as always.  NetBSD's route command doesn't allow for specifying
> > a network interface, only a gateway address.  I'm trying to route a subnet
> > behind a separate gateway machine (NetBSD), but route always picks the wrong
> > network interface and things don't work.
>
> This is not currently possible due to limitations in the routing
> socket.  I was working on some changes in this area a while back but
> never got around to merging them past the KAME/ipv6 commit..

I hope they will be merged sometime - it would be easier to set up routes
if you could specify the interfaces (in addition to addresses).

Although,

> > route add -net a.b.c.192 a.b.c.140 -netmask 0xffffffc0
> >
> > on NetBSD1, it adds the route, but via interface ppp0.
>
> What netmask are you using on ppp0 and on the ethernet side?  If the
> ppp0 netmask doesn't include a.b.c.140, it should work...

You're right.. my ppp0 netmask is 0xffffffc0 instead of 0xffffffff
(which it should be, right?).  I guess that's why NetBSD didn't get my
idea.  My fault. ;)  (I managed to set the route by taking the ppp
connection down, setting the new route, and bringing ppp up again, but
that was a m$ way of doing things ;)

Thanks for the help,

  -jm