Subject: Fwd: Filesystem Questions
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Reed Shadgett <dent@pgh.nauticom.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/07/2000 09:10:56
Here's a bundle of questions that came in through the NetBSD web site.
Please copy him on any responses at <erotus@linuxmail.org> since he's
not on any NetBSD mailing lists. :)

----- Forwarded message from Erotus Pfoerceurpolaepes <erotus@linuxmail.org>

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have looked through your site and I could not find enough information
regarding File Systems.  I know that FreeBSD uses UFS.  I got the
impression that NetBSD uses FFS and can use LFS(journaling?)

I really want to know what the advantage of FFS is over UFS and how stable
is LFS at this point in the game.  I'm really interested in a journaling
system.  Linux now has ReiserFS and XFS is on it's way.

Basically, I really want to try out NetBSD as I have heard many good things.
I am a Linux user and I have used BSD based systems in the past(only thru
telnet).  I want the speed and reliability that come with journaling.  I
also want the reliability that comes with BSD -- an area Linux has yet to
catch up on however, linux is better than that "other" operating system.
Here is what I want to know:

what is FFS?
how does FFS compare to UFS or LFS?
which of these provide journaling?
can journaling be installed when the OS is installed or is it patched on
after the base system is installed?

Keep up the good work.

Erotus

----- End forwarded message -----