Subject: Promise IDE Raid Controllers
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/2000 03:15:07
Hi,

Promise will be shipping two ATA/100 raid controllers, one samiliar to the
Fasttrack66, another one will probably have a i960 CPU and 4 IDE
channels/conectors. If someone is interested to write support I will try to get
some controllers and information from Promise although they seem to be a
little bit sensible about the internals of their products (their linux driver should
be neither open source nor available as source). I do not know if it is worth
the work, as by next year Serial ATA should be available.

I was interested if someone has compared the IDE Raid controllers to
software raid, some time ago there was a database test (Informix and Oracle I
think) run on SCSI raidcontroller systems and softwareraid under Linux, these
tests indicated that the softwareraid was almost on par with the SCSI Raid
controllers.

thanks

mike