Subject: Re: File System Types
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/24/2000 02:05:53
On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 09:56:50PM -0500, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:

> I'll actually be checking on this now, but I'm curious - when you use
> RAIDframe, should all devices in the raid be the same size? or can you
> vary them as you like? The answer may be worth adding to the man page.

Since you have devices of very different sizes, what you will probably
need to do is use RAIDframe to build sets of disks that are the same (or
almost the same) size, then use the "ccd" driver in "concat mode" to
concatenate them together.  RAIDframe will give you redundancy and
ccd will let you build giant volumes by stringing your RAIDframes together
end-to-end.

You may find performance on your hardware fairly seriously limited by your
memory and XOR bandwidth.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"