Subject: File System Types
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/23/2000 11:32:26
Is there a primer out there on File System types? Most of my systems
just use FFS, as I suppose is normal, but I'm wondering about all the
other types and what thier benifits and shortcomings are.

In particular, I'm wondering if Unix has something along the lines of a
NT Volume Set or Stripe Set. Sort of a RAID with no RAID controller.

Perhaps I should elaborate: I have a VAX4000/200 with over 100G of SCSI
drives, most in 2G, 3G, 4G, and 10G differential format. I also
(luckily) have enough differential SCSI controllers to put them all
online. However, I don't want to be limited to 2G FFS file systems. What
I want to know, is can I take (say) 5 10G drives, and create a file
system that spans the drives, effectively giving me a 50G file system?
The obvious question would be, if it can be done, do all the drives have
to be on the same controller, or can there be a speed boost given by
splitting them up over multiple controllers?

Thanks for any response.

 -J. Buck Caldwell