Subject: Re: System Recommendation
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Tyler Mitchell <fission@mb.sympatico.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/09/2000 19:41:06
On 9 Jun 2000, Petra Hofmann wrote:

> I need some advice and/or recommendations.  I'm trying to make a determination
> of the most useful nos for my organization of about 100 useers with several
> wan links.  I've installed several systems: RH Linux, FreeBSD and NetBSD.
> However, the difficutly is learning each system sufficiently to make an
> assessment of what to choose.
>
> Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.  Limit the comments to
> these three systems.  Thank you, Petra.

As far as Red Hat's concerned, I wouldn't even go there.  It may be nice
and GUI-like and full of wonderful GUI programs and stuff, but as far as
actual system administration is concerned, you learn "Red Hat
administration" and not real useful Linux or *BSD administration
techniques.  If you want to develop techniques that you can transport from
one OS to another, get either FreeBSD or NetBSD.  (I, being a NetBSD user,
would recommend that over FreeBSD, but that's just me.)

--
Tyler Mitchell