Subject: Re: System Recommendation
To: Petra Hofmann <petra_lynn@usa.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/09/2000 11:34:08
Petra Hofmann writes:
> I need some advice and/or recommendations.  I'm trying to make a determination
> of the most useful nos for my organization of about 100 useers with several
> wan links.  I've installed several systems: RH Linux, FreeBSD and NetBSD.
> However, the difficutly is learning each system sufficiently to make an
> assessment of what to choose.
>
> Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.  Limit the comments to
> these three systems.  Thank you, Petra.

You really need to provide more specifics of how you plan on using this
"nos" at your location.
Which (or all) of the following are you talking about:
	LAN/WAN/internet router
	internet firewall
	file & print server
	mail exchanger and/or mail server
	Web server
	ftp server
	database server
	proxy server

The operating systems you list have different advantages and disadvantages
depending on your intended use.  If you want decent responses you'll need
to provide more information.

As this is a NetBSD list, you should recognize that most people will say
"use NetBSD", and of course it can handle all of the roles above. :-)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.