Subject: Re: print filters
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/04/2000 17:32:49
Steven M. Bellovin said:

>I was looking for something similar.  I eventually learned that the
>easiest thing to do was to install magicfilter from pkgsrc.  Yes, it's
>overkill, but it did all I wanted and then some, very easily, and with
>no fuss, muss, or bother.

Ultimately, this is what I want to use. Since the Okidata OL810e/PS will
accept text, PCL, or Postscript when in auto mode, it would be great to
have a one size fits all filter like magicfilter.

However, I downloaded the latest pkgsrc to my print server system, which
is running NetBSD/i386 1.4.1. The build of netpbm, which is one of the
packages needed by magicfilter, blew up on one of the Makefiles. I guess
I'll try downloading pkgsrc from the 1.4.2 release, as I have built
magicfilter on another i386 1.4.1 machine.

In the meantime I have set up an alternate printer entry in printcap that
uses enscript to do Ascii to Postscript.

The main purpose of this exercise is to have a single printer entry that
my SO can use when she prints from her Sparc 5 running Solaris 2.6. I have
kept up her interest in using UNIX for quite a while now, and I'm constantly
trying to make things easier for her.

Her history with UNIX:

Sparc 1 with SunOS 4.1.4 + Openwindows + mailtool + Netscape + Wordperfect
Same as above except trade Openwindows for X11R6
Sparc IPX with Solaris 2.6 + CDE + dtmail + Netscape + Wordperfect
That system was "too slow" for her.
Sparc 5 110Mhz + Solaris 2.6 + CDE + mailtool + Netscape + Wordperfect
At least I got the IPX back to load NetBSD-current on. :-)

From installing 1.4X on an i386 box and adding the KDE desktop, it looks
like I'll be able to wean her away from Solaris soon...

Just as an aside, I bought the Sparc 5 from www.sunsunsun.net, with a
CD drive and 96 megs of memory. It's been up and running since mid April
without any problems. When I received the system I opened it up and it
was squeaky clean inside and out. I've also bought a few monitors and
keyboards from them, and I've been completely satisfied.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com