Subject: Serious memory leak in bind?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/01/2000 15:29:46
We are running bind 8.2.2-P5 on NetBSD 1.4.2/i386.  Not long after
enabling DDNS from a DHCP server, we've been seeing the named process
grow continously until it hits the limit and core dumps.  We have added
'maintain-ixfr-base no;' to named.conf (even though no is the default) as
it appeared to be generating some .ixfr files.
It is still appears to be generating them for the domains that are dynamic,
and is still growing without bound.

Are current "fix" was to add 'ndc restart' to /etc/daily.  What is
the best tool for detecting these leaks?  Malloc debug flags?  Something
like electric fence?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.