Subject: Re: NetBSD Documentation Project and Ranting
To: Mocha <netbsd_alpha@yahoo.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/24/2000 23:19:59
Oh, and...

Mocha <netbsd_alpha@yahoo.com> writes:
> Often times I read over the Linux and the FreeBSD documents. I'm just in
> awe at their efforts. Having tutorials, handbooks, and indepth FAQs would
> help expand NetBSD's user base. Understandably with all the architectures
> that NetBSD supports, a documentation project would be a tremendous
> undertaking.
>
> Another idea would be to add some kind of forum to the NetBSD's website. It
> would add value to the web site for visitors. You can even cross reference
> the forums to the mailing lists.
>
> In addition, better search capabilities on the web site would help users
> find the information they are looking for.
>
> Also having a project management system would help developers collaborate
> and track each other's progress. Such a system would not only make
> developement faster, but would allow users to see what is going on. Yes one
> can view the CVS and see what's going on with NetBSD's developement. But
> I'm talking beyond the system level; more at a higher application and
> administration level.

NetBSD is a user managed project. If you're interested in all these
things, the easiest way to get stuff going is to start working on
something yourself. For example, I've (on several occasions) said
"there ought to be a..." and done something about it. If you are
interested in having the things you mention happen, there is no surer
source of labor for the project than your own efforts...

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com