Subject: Utility Port(reoriginate?)
To: None <www@netbsd.org>
From: Jay Fink <jrf@diverge.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2000 22:40:51
Hello,

PLS FWD if I sent this to the wrong place, I didn't think the core was
neccessarily the first stop for this question;

I will try to keep this short;

Not too long ago I set out to write some system utilties that got
hardware information for me on a Linux system. I was somewhat
dissastisfied with the way I had to go about it since Linux actually
prefers using the /proc - kernel interface (the kernel subs and
definitions change too rapidly). I also decided I wanted an
(Open/Free/Whatever) OS with better timesharing capabilities (ala BSD).

I would like to work on a *BSD system that is multi-platform (obviously
since I am into hw). The utility would be rudimentry really and return
vendor, model and general information (not neccessarily *status*) back
to the user (praps akin to ldev).

My question is would anyone there be interested?

I don't care if it is in the OS, a port or whatever, does not matter to
me, I just don't want to write it and not have it used. Of course I can
always write it and host it from my www site, but that rarely helps
anyone else out :)

thx for your time,
                regards,
                      jrf

--
  Jason (Jay) R. Fink WWW Home: diverge.org/jf E-mail: jrf@diverge.org
 "Upon completion of maintainence, throw away mysterious leftover parts"