Subject: Re: Perl make question
To: Ron Roskens <roskens@colltech.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/11/2000 08:18:45
> > I am not aware of details about Perl versions, but is there a reason that
> > you don't use NetBSD's pkgsrc?  Or were you simply unaware of pkgsrc?  If
>
> If someone wants to use the latest version of perl5 they
> must manually build it. Its not available through NetBSD's
> package system.

Ah, I wasn't aware of exactly which version of Perl we had.

However, it wasn't clear from his original query whether he
_really_needed_ 5.6, or if he was just building the most recent because he
needed _a_ version of Perl.  From his message, he appeared to be a
newcomer to NetBSD, and if the version of Perl in pkgsrc is up to his
needs, then it is worth pointing him in that direction.

Also, as I said, the patches/config information in the pkgsrc version may
be of help in resolving his difficulties with 5.6.  (He has problems
compiling at point XXX and doesn't know how to proceed, so he might see
what, if anything, the pkgsrc version of Perl does about XXX.)

Of course, I wouldn't stand in the way of his manually building it, if he
needs (or wants) to do so.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com