Subject: Re: [linux-usb] Anti-NDA petition
To: Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/27/2000 09:18:46
On 26 Apr 2000, at 23:20, Alexander Langer wrote:

> Don't you understand that?
> If there is _no_ driver, you never will be confrontated with the
> problem, that the manufacturer stops supporting your OS.

Hi,

you are right, I did not understand it from your previous message. Now that
you have cleared that, it seems right, a binary driver is better than no driver.

On the other hand everyone has the choice, like you would not buy the
product that has no driver for your os but rather one that has a driver, you
can also preferr the product that includes the sources over the one that does
not. Indeed it is your choice, I would like to get a penny for every piece of
hardware that collects dust in my office just because there is no
driver/firmware available.

I wonder how many computers had survived Y2K if the BIOS code had been
supplied.

mike