Subject: Re: [linux-usb] Anti-NDA petition
To: Thomas Michael Wanka <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/26/2000 23:20:08
Thus spake Thomas Michael Wanka (tm_wanka@earthling.net):

> What do you do if the manufacturer no longer supports your piece of
> hardware? If the driver will not work with the next version of your OS you may
> keep with the old version of the OS or by new hardware. Having the sources
> gives you the option to adapt the driver or have it done by someone else.

Don't you understand that?
If there is _no_ driver, you never will be confrontated with the
problem, that the manufacturer stops supporting your OS.

If there is a binary one, you can be happy for the time it is
supported.

_Of course_, I prefer OpenSource drivers, but before I don't use this
piece of hardware I stick to binary ones.

Alex
--
I need a new ~/.sig.