Subject: Re: [linux-usb] Anti-NDA petition
To: Marc Espie <Marc.Espie@liafa.jussieu.fr>
From: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/26/2000 16:19:59
Marc Espie said on Apr 26, 2000 at 11:47:51:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 11:13:13AM +0200, Alexander Langer wrote:
> > Thus spake Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk):
>
> > > will release source. I have a fine vision made camera with a stable driver
> > > from a vendor who has been helpful.
>
> > That's fine for you. You are ignoring thousands of other people who
> > own cams of other vendors that might want to switch to an open-source
> > OS.
>
> Yes, he is.
>
> SO WHAT ?
>
> This is Open Source software.
>
> People don't have to go out of their ways to help you. There is already
> enough to do with nice vendors.
>
> You want support for other vendors' stuff ? Then get your ass into high
> gear, and start lobbying for information *full* disclosure.

Quite right.  And Alan has a right to his opinion, considering how
much linux hardware support (among other things) he has directly
contributed.

Besides, Alan's mail was based on a mild misunderstanding.  All that
was asked was a statement that one would tend to choose hardware with
open-source drivers: not a promise to Philips to buy their stuff, or a
testimonial to them.  I suppose even a statement like "I bought
Vision's hardware rather than yours because they are helpful with
their drivers and you aren't" will do?

Personally I'm unwilling to send a mail that sounds like "if you
opensource your drivers I'll consider buying your stuff", but I'm
quite happy to send one saying "I prefer to buy hardware which has
opensource drivers."  Jeroen's second mail seems to make it clear that
the second statement is sufficient.

Rahul.