Subject: Re: [linux-usb] Anti-NDA petition
To: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
From: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/25/2000 14:09:54
Alan:

It is this sort of attitude, as well as the anti-business agenda embodied
in the GPL, that alienate manufacturers from open source. And Philips is not a
good company to alienate; they have a lot to offer. (I suspect that this
specific problem is not endemic to the company but rather reflects the attitudes of
the managers of one particular group within the company.) It is also fairly
likely that they can be convinced that their protocols do not give the
company a sufficient competitive edge to outweigh the advantages of going
public with them.

Militancy should be reserved for those who are actively trying to harm
others. While I personally believe that the FSF falls into this category
(because it is actively engaged in a battle to destroy worthy and creative
people's livelihoods), Philips does not.

--Brett Glass