Subject: Re: mount_msdos
To: Brad Knotwell <knotwell@ix.netcom.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/09/2000 14:16:18
On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 10:42:55AM -0700, Brad Knotwell wrote:
> Hello all--
>
> I'm trying to install the ix86 version of  NetBSD 1.4.2 off a dos partition.
> Based on previous posts, I noted the sector start and size and created an
> MSDOS slice (I've tried wd0h and wd0f; extended and primary FAT-formatted
> partitions) using disklabel.

Is this on the same disk as the one you want to install NetBSD on ?

> Unfortunately, when I try to mount_msdos /dev/wd0h /msdos (I created the
> directory), I get an Invalid argument error.

Using the primary parition should be easier. Unfortunably this is not an
install method well supported yet :(

> The only suspicious thing I see in the disklabel output is some asterisks
> around the MSDOS slice's cylinder numbers.  I can only presume it doesn't
> like the fact that they are outside the numbers for the c slice.

Not, this is because the parititon is not aligned on cylinders, this may not be
a problem (real vs fake geometry issue).

> Am I misunderstanding something critical here?
>
> As an aside, I presume cat setname.tgz | pax -r -z -p e will appropriately
> extract the sets.

yes.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>