Subject: Re: mount_msdos
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Brad Knotwell <knotwell@ix.netcom.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/09/2000 08:17:30
Hello all--

Well, I got everything installed via a dos partition.  I thought I'd
summarize my
experience:

------Initial partitioning steps done via NT's disk manager--------
I initially created an extended DOS partition and copied the install sets to
it.  This didn't work so I dropped the extended DOS partition and created a
primary partition (or so I thought).  This didn't work.

Apparently, NT disk manager won't really allow you to remove an extended DOS
partition (or something like that), so if you add an primary partition after
an extended partition the partition type doesn't really change.

--------------the solution--------------

1)  use NetBSD's fdisk to create the DOS and NetBSD partitions
2)  use disklabel to slice up the NetBSD partition *and* add the DOS
partition
3)  mount rootfs, create the root directory hierarchy, and create fstab

NOTE:  I used the NetBSD installer to do all of the above for me, so I'll
beg forgiveness on the fuzziness in step #3.

3)  boot back to NT
4)  go into the disk manager and format the new partition as type FAT
5)  copy the distribution sets to the new partition
6)  create your rescue diskette via rdisk
7)  boot back into NetBSD
8)  mount /dev/wd0a (in my case) /mnt
9)  mount /dev/wd0e /mnt/usr
10)  mkdir /msdos
11) mount /dev/wd0f /mnt/msdos
12) cd /mnt
13) for i in /msdos/*TGZ  (where *TGZ includes only the sets you want)
      do
         cat $i | pax -r -z -p e
      done
14) dd if=/dev/rwd0a of=/msdos/bsb00.bb count=1 bs=512

NOTE:  if you set of incorrectly, you'll need to copy the boot block to the
dos
             filesystem by hand.
15) umount everything
16) boot back into NT