Subject: Re: Cyclades 8 and 16 serial port ISA cards
To: Zach Fine <zach@xdsl014.serv.net>
From: mel kravitz <melk@switchpwr.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/2000 06:22:17
Zach Fine wrote:

> Do these devices actually work? I too compiled a new kernel, installed
> a Cyclades Ye board, and made 16 devices, but whenever I try to use
> them my computer crashes a minute later.
>
> FWIW, mine's a Cyclades YeP PCI board, not ISA.

Zach,
I have the 8Ye card installed on a box running current-1.4V. I have not
seen any problems using this card, either in the
dialin or dialout mode , using mgetty my /etc/ttys lines are:
ttyC0 "/usr/pkg/sbin/mgetty -s 57600"  dialup on insecure ..etc for other
ports.
on configuring , i did have an irq conflict with a buslogic scsi card at
irq12 , however the ISA  card can be
manually set on irq's to 5,9,10,11,12 -usally one of these will be free
for custom kernel setting, my card is at irq9.
And of course the kernel will not configure the card on boot if the
seperate port box is not connected to the card.
I have configured this series of card in FreeBSD,  my only experience
with cyclades pci cards was with the
-z series of cards in linux, which with a custom kernel worked, however
with normal dual-pair or twisted wire phone lines  we could never do
better than 28000bps, 2.8-3.2k download or thru-put speeds.
If you want to send me your PCI card i will try it. I get 26-28,000bps
service with 4 dialin 56K USR modems connected to my dialin server.
Mel