Subject: Re: determining originating IP address of current rsh session
To: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/19/2000 16:06:04
Laine Stump writes:

> Yes, it's fairly straightforward, and it works well. (Thanks, Andrew!) I
> would prefer something that could be done completely with sh and awk (and
> was portable to other OSes) so that I could just install a single shell
> script that would work on anything, but this is definitely better than
> nothing.

Well, tcsh sets 'REMOTEHOST' if that is an option.  I recall having a
problem with tcsh that forced me back to sh which needs getpeer.
I think the tcsh issue was related to it not setting up the path
correctly.  E.g. 'rsh host command' wouldn't find command in $HOME/bin
which was added to the path in .cshrc/.login, or /etc/csh.*.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.