Subject: Re: NetBSD mailserver strangeness?
To: 'netbsd-users@netbsd.org' <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@marconicomms.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/16/2000 22:22:32
"Jones, Carrie (Bowen)" wrote:

> I'm not sure if this will help, but I have been receiving two copies of some
> of the messages sent out from the various lists that I have subscribed to.
> In fact, I got two copies of this message. I honestly just thought it was
> some stupid quirk of Outlook evilness. I haven't tried this from home so
> it's not rigorously defined, but wasn't it a couple weeks ago when majordomo
> was a little wierded out?

No, this only happens if someone CROSSPOSTS, i.e. he puts TWO or
even worse, more mailinglists, in the to: or cc: fields. This should
be avoided! Try to pick a list for your question/mail and only send
it to this list. If you don't get any reasonable answers, you might
try sending to another list, which might also be suitable.

It is really annoying to get the same mail several times, and
even worse, most people reply to all of the mailing lists as
well, so you'll see all mails of a particular mail thread serveral
times :-(

> >Has anyone been getting some messages from majordomo at strange distances
> >from one another?  Recently I've seen cross posts hit my mailbox almost 6
> >or more hours apart.  And it's not just my home system - my work account
> >is the same...

I haven't seen anything like that. You can just have a look
at the headers of the mails to see where they spent their
time :-)

  Guenther

P.S.: Please do not cc: me on replies, I am on this mailing
lists!