Subject: Re: change window manager?
To: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@marconicomms.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/14/2000 19:45:44
On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 08:35:25PM +0100, Guenther Grau wrote:
> Hi Yoseff,
>
> francus@metsny.yossi.com wrote:
> >
> > I had my pmax-netbsd set up so that mwm was my window manager; earlier this
> > week I was cleaning up files and must have deleted a relevant file in my home
> > directory since now I have twm coming up. What file do I need in my homedir
> > to kick up mwm instead of twm?
>
> That depends :-)
> It really depends on the way you actually start the X Window System.
> Have you got a console where you log into a character based screen
> and use a command like startx, or did you setup a grafical login
> screen, where the X Server is already running when you login?
>
> In the second case, you probably deleted .xsession from your

startx will look for a file called ~/.xinitrc whose contents can be very
similar to the contents of a .xsession file. In some circumstances you can
even hardlink the two together and get the proper behaviour in XDM and
startx, and only have one file to maintain.

Make sure not to & the last item in the .x...... file. The Xserver only stays
up as long as it's alive. Either run it with no &, or exec it (and save 1
process)

startx -> ~/.xinitrc
xdm -> ~/.xsession

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive