Subject: Re: aliases in kde
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/07/2000 09:44:50
> .login files are largely useless.  They're really only good for checking to
> see if you have $TERM set and if not, to query you for it.  I don't even
> bother with that, most .login files of the accounts at work have one line; a
> comment stating to put stuff in the .cshrc instead.

I'm of the opinion that it's better to set some things in your .login (or
equivalent), rather than your .cshrc.  $PATH is one of these things.  This
means you can open a login shell (xterm -ls) and get your modified $PATH or
open a non-login shell (xterm +ls) and get the system $PATH.  You can also
apply this to $MANPATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  You might also want to do some
things only on login (e.g. remote login vs new window).  I run `ulimit`,
`uptime` and print out my notes file.  I don't need these each time I open
a new window on the desktop.

                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/